Looking for grad-friendly companies to hit up in your final year of uni? We’ve popped together a list of STEM-friendly programs. Minimal experience, required
Graduate gigs – often contracted between one to four years – are entry level jobs designed to introduce fresh uni graduates to a company or industry that aligns with their study experience and career goals.
The structured programs often often rotate across departments, which allows for a broad development of skills and exposure to a variety of different roles. Although they aren’t the only option for university graduates, they generally provide a more extensive career development program than other entry-level jobs.
The best graduate programs will provide:
- Extensive induction and training programs
- Mentoring programs
- Career progression planning
- Excellent supervision and feedback
- Compensation and benefits
- A good work/life balance and inclusive company culture
Which graduate employer is for you?
There are loads of ways to seek out a suitable graduate employer. Most uni’s will share job opportunities with students in their final year, and lists like the The Australian Financial Review’s Top Graduate Employers are a great resource.
We’ve popped together a mini breakdown of companies we think have particularly cool programs this year.
Have skills in tech and engineering but keen to branch out of the expected trajectory? Banks don’t just need people awesome at stats and numbers! There are heaps of exciting and out-of-the-box roles at CBA. Their structured grad program allows you to pick a business area (STEM options include analytics, digital and technology) and partner with experienced team members to deliver real-life projects.
- Key dates: Applications for CBA’s 2024 grad program open February 2022.
- Related subjects: Actuarial studies, engineering, maths, statistics and science
- Alumni: Jennifer Shook. The talented CBA grad studied chemical engineering at Curtin University and ended up with a grad gig at a bank.
It’s no secret that tech-giants like Atlassian are awesome, inclusive employers with their forward-thinking workplace mentality. And the career opportunities for computer science students and recent grads? Seriously sky high.
Launch your tech career through their Graduate or Intern programs – Gradlassian! – where you’ll be given limitless opportunities to unleash your full potential with some of the most forward-thinking minds in STEM.
- Key dates: Applications for 2024 are open now.
- Related degrees: Computer science, IT and engineering
- Alumni: Juliano Julio is a Senior Engineer working in the Jira Cloud Performance Team. He’s part of a crew responsible for improving the performance of one of the most popular software development applications in the world.
The insurance industry isn’t all about premiums and claims! There’s also cool modelling around how natural hazards may affect people’s lives and that requires experts in data and analytics.
Insurance Australia Group (IAG) is Australia and New Zealand’s largest general insurance company. Over the years they’ve answered all the big questions: when weather episodes strike, what are the risks? What does that look like from a cost perspective? What is the impact of climate change on business and the community?
Their 18-month Graduate Program will see you working across multiple divisions, giving you the opportunity to explore different projects, teams and ways of working.
- Key dates: Applications for 2024 will open in February
- Related subjects: Maths, analytics and data science
- Alumni: Perils pricing manager, Philip Conway! His team have built national models on hazards such as bushfires, floods and financial modules to identify the risks a customer is potentially exposed to.
For anyone into computer science, scoring experience at Google is the dream, right?! They’ve got loads of exciting global internship, training and residency opportunities designed to skill up students and recent grads on all aspects of tech. Their 12-week engineering gigs (2020 STEP internships) sound particularly awesome alongside their contracted junior IT residency roles.
- Key dates: Grad opportunities for 2024 will be advertised here.
- Related subjects: Engineering, computer science, IT
- Alumni: Hannah Craighead! The VUW grad-turned-software developer scored an internship with Google and now works there, for real.
Looking for a straight-up science gig in the health sector? With more than 800 employees, Viatris is a a leading producer, manufacturer and distributer of pharmaceutical products – bringing medicines to patients when and where they need them. Their Carole Park manufacturing site is one of the biggest employers in Queensland, employing over 600 people across STEM industries.
- Key dates: Apply for graduate opportunities here.
- Related subjects: Chemistry, maths, physics
Based in southern Sydney, ANSTO is Australia’s nuclear science and technology organisation, and it’s where you’ll find the country’s leading scientists using state-of-the-art nuclear tech to find solutions to complex problems, such as treating cancer and responding to climate change.
ANSTO provides a huge range of opportunities for future scientists and researchers who want to launch a career in nuclear science. Their Graduate Development Program is a reputable leadership program focused on providing professional development opportunities and hands-on experience.
- Key dates: Head here to stay in the loop – they have loads of different graduate programs depending on which pathway you’re keen to head down. This is also super-helpful.
- Related subjects: Chemistry, engineering, biology, physics and maths
- Alumni: Alex Boyd studied a Bachelor of Pre-Medicine, Science & Health at the University of Wollongong and is now a Graduate at ANSTO.
Are you a recent STEM grad? Get insights into career trends and stats, employer tips, programs to up-skill and practical information to help you nail your dream STEM graduate career. Don’t miss essential career trends and info – subscribe to Graduate Options monthly e-newsletter.
- Tech companies dominate top employers list
- Graduate roles at CommBank
- Grad employers with an X Factor