Are you curious about how online dating works? Wonder how the app algorithms roll? Check out these nine STEM-focussed jobs that form the mainstay of dating app companies.
According to recent statistics, the global dating app industry combined revenue was over USD $3 billion. The market share for dating sites/apps continues to increase. With over 270 million people on these platforms, there is more room for growth in the near future, which means more jobs and career choices in this sector.
Bumble CEO Whitney Wolfe Herd wants to build an everlasting company. “We truly believe that as long as there are women on planet Earth — which there would be no planet Earth without them — we believe we will be in business,” she says. Whitney has also been featured in the CEO magazine as one of the top CEO’s who are dominating today’s business world.
As per business of apps, Tinder, Bumble, Badoo, Grindr and Hinge are some of the top global dating apps. They all have creative and multi-talented teams to develop and manage the platforms. With more innovation in technology, the types of roles also continually evolve.
Here are some of the STEM-based roles that are currently available in this industry.
- Product Designer: Wonder who leads the product design of your online dating app? A product designer works with the app and its engineering to oversee the user experience from conception to launch. Key aptitude to look for in this role is a human-focused visual design approach.
- Infrastructure Engineer: This role is about developing resilient core services supporting the backend application and technologies. You get to collaborate with various functional teams on the expansion of the platforms and influence the technical roadmap of the dating app and services.
- Machine Learning Engineer: Heard about big data? On average, Tinder goes through 1.6 billion swipes per day. This role leads a machine learning team which solves challenging ranking problems at massive scales. At the same time, machine learning engineers develop data-driven approaches to understand their user profiles. Check out our Machine Learning Engineer Job Kit to find out more about this career.
- Android/IOS Engineer: This role has an impact on millions of users who form the online dating community. The person in this role gets to experiment a lot. If you get a buzz from taking initiative, redefining expectations but also getting involved in challenging technical debates with the team, this could be your place.
- Software Engineer – Data: This role combines, data, design, and engineering. You get to design and implement the next generation of the apps data platform. Dating apps always have new needs for actionable information, and this provides an exciting roadmap with high-value products ready to be designed and identified. Check out our Software Engineer Job Kit to find out more about this career.
6. Data Scientist/Analyst: If you love numbers and data, this role could be for you. A data scientist in the dating industry uses data to deliver effective results. The role determines how the data leads to an algorithm that that focusses on driving improvement in the performance of the app. Check out our Data Scientist Job Kit to find out more about this career.
7. Financial Analyst: If accounting and finance combined with business acumen is your thing, this role could be for you. Strategy and analysis are key to driving this job. Dating sites and apps work in a fast-paced environment and companies are always looking for growth. Therefore, a financial analyst develops business cases for key initiatives.
- Network Architect: If you want to make an impact by analysing risk and ensuring safety this role might be for you. As a network architect, you get to work closely with data centre operations and deployment teams to guarantee designs and solutions are safe and efficient. You get to think outside the box with systems engineers to help them to build better services by approaching their problems from different angles.
- Security Engineer: Dating sites have a huge responsibility of keeping their users’ data safe. The information security team keeps the data and intellectual property secure from all threats, both human and technological. The security engineer’s mission is to secure security compliance.
If you are keen to build your career path in technology, check out some successful careers with tech role models here.
Author: Dr Astha Singh
Astha is the Managing Editor at Refraction Media. She is a STEM Marketer and holds a Honors, Masters & PhD degree in Science. She has been producing STEM marketing content for over 10 years and is an avid advocate of Diversity in the STEM industry.