Want a life changing summer break? Build your ideas at the Questacon Invention Convention!
Coming up with new ideas can be intimidating, especially when you don’t really know how to turn them into something real. But every year in January, high school students from across Australia – often with no experience in prototyping – do just that.
They spend five days at the National Questacon Invention Convention learning new skills, coming up with ideas to solve the problems of the future, having a bunch of fun and making friends along the way!
The National Questacon Invention Convention is an adventure in problem solving, designing, building and creating your own ideas while getting prototyping guidance from a range of designers, makers and STEM professionals.
The all-expenses paid, five-day workshop in Canberra is held every January, with 25 places available for high school students all across Australia.
“I like thinking of new things that I might be able to invent and having a bit of fun with that. So I thought it would be a good opportunity to […] see what inventing was really like,” says Toby Moore, an Invention Convention delegate.
“Other people should have a go at it and it doesn’t really matter if you don’t think you’re any good you should just dive in and have a go, because you might surprise yourself!”
Throughout the week, participants have an opportunity to learn new skills from coding and designing apps to physical building, as well as gaining entrepreneurial skills in communicating, networking and teamwork.
What to expect:
– The all-expenses paid trip will see you transported to Canberra to gain innovation skills in our maker space, while living in accommodation as one of 25 young innovators, with all your food sorted for you.
– Make friends with people from all over Australia who love making stuff and have big, bold ideas.
– Participate in fun creative thinking activities to help hone your ideas and work your creative muscles.
– Be supported to turn your idea into a physical prototype with help from experts, makers and young entrepreneurs.
– Gain new technical skills in building, programming and coding, design, 3D printing and CAD design, electronics and more!
– Learn about intellectual property and how to pitch your idea to others.
– Build your communication and networking skills, while getting to meet some of Australia’s brightest minds who have created businesses out of building solutions and inventing things.
– Get dressed up for a flashy VIP showcase event at the end of the week.
– Get inspired and learn the skills you’ll need to make change in the world!
Does this sound like the experience for you? The next Questacon National Invention Convention will be held from 14-18 January, 2019. People aged 14 – 18 can note their interest online to receive an application later this year. Applications will open in September and close in October.
Ready to register? Head to the website.
This article is brought to you by Questacon – The National Science and Technology Centre.