The world needs more scientists and there are SO many amazing science careers for you to discover.
Whether you’re into health, the environment, sport, animals, innovation or hardcore physics, there’s a place for you in science. Let’s see how much you know about some of the coolest science careers we can think of!
Everything you need to know about science careers
If our quiz got you thinking about what area of science is right for you, check out the below resources. We’ve got profiles of scientists doing awesome things in ecology, conservation, animal science, space, forensics, nutrition, chemistry, data and beyond! There’s also deets on different study paths, how you can mix science with your passion, and webinars where the pros chat about how they landed their dream science careers.
Meet the pros:
- Dr David Flannery, research scientist: QUT researcher Dr David Flannery is living his dream career – helping NASA on its next Mars rover mission.
- Amy MacIntosh, ecotoxicologist: Amy is investigating the impacts of naturally occurring radioactive material (NORM) from deep-sea oil and gas pipelines on Australian marine animals.
- Rebecca Abbott, immunologist: Rebecca is on a mission to find treatments and cures for brain cancer.
- Chris Turney, earth scientist: Chris tells us about a day in the life of an environmental scientist; it’s all smooth sailing when you’re not stranded in Antarctica!
Find our full collection of scientist profiles over at our role models section.
Reads + resources:
- How to become a marine biologist + what they really do: we answer all your burning questions about becoming a marine biologist, including what to study, the skills you need and where you could end up working.
- Space + agriculture: bringing space jobs down to Earth: there’s more to a food and farming career than studying soil and crops. Next-gen farming smarts are needed in out-of-this-world industries, like space.
- The A-Z of health jobs: wondering where a health science or related degree could take you? Kick off your career research with this A to Z list – which barely even scratches the surface of all the health jobs out there!
- Find your STEM + sport career: combine your passion for your favourite sport with STEM to slam dunk your way to a future proof, dream job!
- 5 cool careers with reptiles: keen to work with snakes and other slithery friends? Check out these sssss-ensational careers.
- Science + innovation = cool combo: science isn’t all research and academia – commercially minded scientists are turning their inventions and discoveries into real-world products and successful businesses all the time.
- 5 science degrees you didn’t know you could apply for: whether you’re into space, insects or saving our oceans, there are a bunch of scientists out there who share your passion and are waiting for you to join them.
These stories just scratch the surface! Want more? Check out our Careers with Science page.
Watch the Careers with STEM: Science Webinar
Author: Louise Meers
Louise is the production editor for Careers with STEM. She has a journalism degree from the University of Technology, Sydney and has spent over a decade writing for youth. She is passionate about inspiring young people to achieve their biggest goals and build a better future.