Can’t decide on tech or engineering? We’re here to help! Take our quiz to see if civil or software engineering could be the right STEM path for you.
Everything you need to know about civil engineering
We’ve whipped up a civil engineering FAQ to help you get across this cool STEM career. What is it? Why is it so important? What does this kind of engineer actually do? Where do they work? How do you become one? We’ve answered all these questions (and more!) here.
You should also check out the inspiring study and career paths of the following civil engineers…
- Sujita Khadka – see how Sujita is helping Nepal with her STEM skills.
- Genevieve De Michele – civil and construction engineer Genevieve loves seeing her work in the real world every day.
- Claire Chaikin-Bryan – an engineer with a knack for coding, find out how Claire is making communities more liveable.
Software engineers are in demand
If coding is your calling, you’re in luck. According to the APAC Digital Skills Index 2020, Australia needs 6.5 million additional workers with digital skills by 2025. One of the top five skills needed is, you guessed it, software development. A Bachelor of Computer Science is a good place to start, but be sure to check out alternative pathways like VET too.
Wanna hear from some tech experts who are working in your dream gigs? They’ve given us all the insider deets into their careers.
- Alex Morgan – he’s a software engineer at Aussie tech giant, Atlassian!
- Levina Wong – learn how she overcame imposter syndrome to kickstart a career at CBA.
- Chrisnel Taglao – a software engineer working on cool new tech to help streamline our wallets.
Want more STEM quizzes? Head on over to our quiz hub to find out everything from what app you should develop to what uni electives you should choose.
Author: Louise Meers
Louise is the production editor for Careers with STEM. She has a journalism degree from the University of Technology, Sydney and has spent over a decade writing for youth. She is passionate about inspiring young people to achieve their biggest goals.