Demand for industry certificates are on the rise, with graduates and employees recognising the need for new career credentials
Recent graduates who already hold an Advanced Diploma or higher qualification are becoming study bugs – with 62% of us more likely to up-skill since the beginning of the pandemic according to a study out of the University of Melbourne.
Results show a significant increase in the demand for short courses, with almost two-thirds of survey respondents agreeing that seeking out extra study opportunities is the key to keeping up with changes in their current gigs – particularly as most industries recover from the instability of the last 12+ months.
And among the other reasons grads are enrolling in short courses in such epic numbers? To advance their knowledge (67%), refresh their current skills (45%), assist with career progression (31%) and future-proof their roles (30%).
The Top 10 short courses in Australia
So, with professional certificates making career-relevant programs an option for grads wanting to enter high-demand jobs ASAP, which courses are Aussie learners choosing?
Just this week Coursera have shared the Top 10 Courses in Australia for the last quarter – taken from the study history of 1.2 million+ registered Australian learners on the platform.
Interestingly courses that focus on future-proof professional skills like data science, UX design and programming were among the most popular – suggesting that recent grads and employees are seeking ways to adapt to new digital developments. Yep, even those who weren’t initially trained in STEM.
In the case of the top courses for the quarter, Google, Yale University, Stanford University and University of Michigan leading as the favourite content creators according to Australian learners.
- Deploying SAP on Google Cloud by Google Cloud
- The Science of Well-Being by Yale University
- Foundations: Data, Data, Everywhere by Google
- Machine Learning by Stanford University
- Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects by Deep Teaching Solutions
- Foundations of User Experience (UX) Design by Google
- Ask Questions to Make Data-Driven Decisions by Google
- Foundations of Project Management by Google
- Prepare Data for Exploration by Google
- Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan
Finished your degree and looking for work? Sign up to our monthly Graduate Outcomes e-newsletter for career trends, employer tips and ways to up-skill.
- How to finance your postgraduate degree
- 4 reasons to do a postgraduate degree in tech
- WA digging deep for skilled miners
Author: Cassie Steel
As Refraction’s digital editor, Cassie Steel spends her days researching robots and stalking famous scientists on Twitter.