So you know tech is the right STEM path for you, but what should you specialise in?
Computer science and data science are two awesome areas of tech to consider. Software skills are highly in demand (according to the APAC Digital Skills Index 2020), and data science tops the National Skills Commission 25 Emerging Occupations list.
So they’re both winners! But which one would be best for you? Take our quiz to find out.
All about computer science
Did the quiz confirm computer science is right for you? Woo hoo! Here are some handy resources to get you started on your CS path.
- Here’s a list of all the computer science jobs we can think of: Software, digital marketing and everything in between… There’s something for everyone here!
- Learn Computer Science in 1000 YouTube videos: Want to learn computer science? The clever peeps at Laconic Machine Learning have made all our CS dreams come true by compiling an entire computer science curriculum into 1000 YouTube videos!
- 7 paths to computer science careers: From horse paddocks to high-rise apartments, there are many ways to plug into coding. Meet the seven people taking wildly different paths to a career in computer science, ending up in unexpected places.
RELATED: Take all our tech quizzes
Hooked on data science
Are you a future data science? Get across these reads!
- Study data science & ensure your employability: Meet the Macquarie Uni data science students who are future-proofing their careers.
- So, you want a next-gen data science gig? Live Webinar recording: In this video, Careers with STEM CEO and publisher Karen Taylor-Brown talks us through cutting-edge opportunities in data science and chats to QUT graduates and researchers working on some seriously cool projects.
- Want a data science job? Find out how from a real-life data scientist: What is data science, and what do data scientists actually do? To find out, we chatted to a real-life data scientist, working on some of the coolest fashion websites around.
Author: Louise Meers
Louise is Careers with STEM’s digital content strategist. She has a journalism degree from the University of Technology, Sydney and has spent over a decade writing for youth. She is passionate about inspiring young people to achieve their biggest goals and build a better future.